Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Hunger

I'm known for my interest in 'difficult' cinema, often favouring films that explore bleak, political, or sad personal, themes. This isn't to say that I don't enjoy the odd witty comedy or lavish celebration of beauty, but for some reason I more frequently watch films that are disquieting rather than comforting.

Today I saw 'Hunger ', the directorial debut of Irish artist Steve McQueen, starring Michael Fassbender as IRA hero Bobby Sands. My head is still reeling several hours later. This was one of the most compelling and harrowing films I've seen in a long time, and at one stage I didn't think I'd be able to continue watching. I'm glad I did though because it's a brilliant piece of cinema, demonstrating the exceptional talents of the director and actors alike.

When it screened at Cannes, some audience members walked out, while others gave it a standing ovation. I think David and Margaret sum it up well - the film is quite extraordinary.


It's not easy to recommend 'Hunger' as some people might find it too gruelling. However, if you're drawn to powerful cinema experiences, definitely check it out (and let me know what you think!).

Click here to read a review from the UK Telegraph.

No comments:

... also ...

Related Posts with Thumbnails